Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2012

Dyslexia runs in families

Apparently dyslexia is an inherited trait that runs in families.

My brother was diagnosed in the late 1980's making myfamily the second generation with a dyslexia diagnosis.  Now I'd like to introduce a new character to this online story: my son, who is still 4 years old.

Perhaps I have heightened awareness or maybe I'm just being paranoid but I already see the potential for the same dyslexia and dysgraphia that has already been diagnosed for my daughter.

We will be having some early screening done when my son is 5 (in the spring).  I've also alerted his preschool teachers to the (probability) possibility that he will also be diagnosed.

Early indicators are: speech issues (check) and an aversion to letters (not sure).  He already has a grasp of numbers (good grief that is nothing like myself at his age) and I'm seeing what seem to be a lot of similarities with his sister.

He has a good vocabulary (so did she) which tells me that he is bright but learning to read in the whole language method is not going to work for him either (I'm already fairly certain this will be the case).

The preschool teachers don't know what to do with this information but I still feel better having passed along this information.

I have met so many families recently where for example all four children have dyslexia that I am preparing myself for what seems to be the inevitable.  At least I wont have to go through the same traditional school nonsense I had to with my daughter (we know a lot more now than we did a year ago).

No comments:

Post a Comment