Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Parent Teacher Conference

It was this time last year (roughly) that the first grade teacher in our Catholic school had a conference with us (standard timing).

She was taking phone calls from her daughter during our meeting because they were having a family medical crisis but it worked to our advantage really because it made our meeting brief and to the point. 

Our daugther was, in her terms,

1. Not paying attention in class.
2. Not applying herself.
3. Moved to the front of the class because of needing to be watched.

I think there were a few more derogatory remarks but these are what remain in my memory for the moment.  I'd have to go back and look at my notes to see the other things that were said.

(Friends, always take notes and try to get things verbatim- also tape recording is a good thing to do to if you suspect a problem).

After the conference I felt like I had just been beat up.

Was the first grade teacher really talking about MY CHILD?   It seemed impossible. 

Having seen her everyday for her whole life I knew what a vivacious, bright, interested and sweet little girl she was.  She wasn't a troublemaker. 

Who was this child that the teacher was talking about?

For her part my daughter was extremely jealous of a little girl who was already reading at a third grade level and clearly the teachers pet. All the teacher's positive comments seemed to include this girl's name. 

 No doubt this little girl had book smarts, there are some children who could teach themselves everything and school is merely a social obligation. 

The fact that my child excels in math was also downplayed and overlooked.  She always worked a year ahead but there were no compliments forthcoming.

Fast forward to this year.  Where my child is in a much better place. 

Part of the mission of this school is to build back up the damaged self esteems of all the children who spent many more years in a situation like the one we were able to get out of by the middle of first grade. 

Even a whole year of that situation would have had my daughter questioning her competence.

I can see this in the children who are new this year and have yet to feel the great effects of actually being taught to read in a way that will work for them.

Some of them are still a bit angry and mean, they simply don't know yet that the world is not completely like the world (school) they came from.

I'm hoping I get to see some breakthroughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment