Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Another story

Earlier today I heard another family story about a child with dyslexia. 

An intense story about a school district that told many lies to the mother in order to "get her off their case" and attempted numerous times to blame the child by: finger pointing, saying there are behavioral issues and using plenty of blame-the-parent technique.

This parent lives a small town where they haven't really been for long (if you have ever lived in a smaller community you probably already know the drill- it takes awhile and it's best that you aren't making waves if you are new in town). 

To sum up this depressing story the family has been ostracized in the town, the child's private news about having dyslexia is common knowledge and this child has been labeled and bullied by many as a result.

This family is getting ready to make some big changes and it has a lot to do with the way they have been treated within their community. 

Funny thing, tonight I was at my local grocery store and saw two people I knew from the neighborhood Catholic school we left.  One of the people spoke to me later (eyes glazed over when I started talking about how we had to leave, dyslexia....) and one of them saw me and completely ignored me (was that an accident, possibly).

It made me remember though that there is risk here.  Society is starting to get a clue as actors, successful business people and other famous types come out to the public with their dyslexia but there is still a long way to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment