Search This Blog

Monday, September 30, 2013

Why Homeschooling isn't a good option for Dyslexic children

So let's go over again why I think homeschooling isn't a valid option for dyslexic children.

First off, way back my husband and I discussed why people homeschool (when we had our backs against the wall and were unsure of which direction to go with our dyslexic child).  Part of the appeal was getting her out of a situation that was only going to hurt her.  We got it, sometimes there doesn't seem to be a better way than homeschooling. 

Yet,  I live in a community with lots of people who homeschool and un-school and I see their children.  I see how they meet at a local community center to get physical education while the moms wait in the hall.  Sometimes people drive from a long way just to go to that program.  In a sense the parents create a community of school without school.

Once again I have to point out that they are dependent on resources that are, for the most part, provided through tax money (community centers) the same way schools are.  So any idea of being truly "independent" of the rest of society is nonsense.  Sometimes people choose to homeschool for that reason. It's a sort of live-off-the-land mentality.  

When a parent has realized that their child is different from most because they see them struggling to read many times the parent goes to a center run by our local University (again tax money pays for this).  So in the case of a child with special needs a parent is even more dependent on other's knowledge. 

Sadly,  one of the options that claims to help dyslexic children in our area has devised their own "testing" which shows that after a short time the child is at "grade level" which they clearly are not.

I now know of 3 children this has happened to.  2 of these children were homeschooled.

If the average public school teacher does not have the necessary skills to teach a dyslexic child and (in our area) the tutor doesn't have the correct methodology to tutor a dyslexic child then really, is it reasonable to think that the average mother staying home and teaching her child is going to have more knowledge or even slightly adequate knowledge in the area of dyslexia?

No.

I'm not saying it can never happen but I would think that it would be quite rare for a dyslexic child in a homeschooling situation to really get what they need to learn to read.

If all this smoke and mirror nonsense is going on in the world of educational professionals who do have at least an inkling and the exposure to the education field what in the world is the average parent thinking with their dyslexic child?

While I'm hoping that perhaps buying the Barton system could be a possibility for the homeschooling parent of a dyslexic child the truth is I haven't looked into it.  I'd like to know people who did use it.  I'd like to see children who were able to read successfully because of it. 

I'm not holding my breath.   

No comments:

Post a Comment