Search This Blog

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Common Core and private school, Common Core and Catholic school

http://dianeravitch.net/2013/11/09/how-many-children-will-we-sacrifice-before-we-wake-up/

This article is so timely.  I just had a conference for my son in Catholic school and they were asking what the private school my daughter attends does with Common Core.

I was asking them why my kindergarten child is bringing home sometimes 6 pages of work to be done.  I know that this is not even close to age appropriate. I also knew some of this was new this year and they said yes.  The answer: Common Core.

They asked me what my daughter's private school does with Common Core mandates.  As far as I know right now, they don't use it.  It's a private school.  It doesn't take federal funds and therefore is not subjected to the mandates of the federal government.

They insisted that theirs also was a private school but I have a hunch that Catholic schools do take federal funds in some capacity and this fact, therefore makes them subject to Common Core.  I'm going to figure this out for sure.  Otherwise, I believe Common Core,  just like No Child Left Behind,  belongs in the scrap heap.  The federal government has no business micromanaging our already well educated and knowledgeable teachers around the country.

My daughter's school meets the children where they are.  Oftentimes children do not even come to her school until they are at more advanced age and almost completely illiterate because of the mediocre method of teaching children called Whole Language (and it doesn't matter if you sprinkle in some phonics, it's still whole language).  This doesn't work for a significant number of children (say 40%). 

Only the most diligent parents who have done a lot of research and had their child tested and have the economic means are able to take their children to her school. 

It's heartbreaking to me to think of the astonishing amount of children in the world who are struggling with this and do not have the many factors in place that my own child does.

Still,  I believe "to those whom much has been given much is required".  To me this translates into a real need to go out and tell people our story and let them share theirs.  To answer questions when they are asked of me and to be available to any parent who reaches out to me. 

Right now I'm trying to get The Big Picture shown at our Catholic school.  It's a long shot.  Really right this moment I'm thinking the answer will be no, but at least I asked.  Right?

I'm not giving up.  I don't care if people don't like me.  I must do this job and I must do it to the best of my ability.  I must push this envelope,  even if only one parent listens,  even if only 1 child is helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment