Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

5 schools plus homeschool

I have now looked closely (as a parent) at 5 elementary schools and they weren't all Catholic (in the interest of privacy these are not the real names):

1. Overpriced rich-kid school
2. Our Mother of the Pines
3. St. Arnold's
4. Public School Elementary
5. School for children with Dyslexia
6 the homeschool option

1. We went to Overpriced rich-kid school back when my kid was just a little thing and they had a once a week mommy-and-me program.  I wanted to see what this sort of education looked like up close and personal.  I got more than I bargained for. 

This school had everything money could buy in excess. Plus warm and fuzzy teachers (at least in the lower grades) and VERY small classes.  It would be difficult for a normal kid not to do well in this sort of environment. 

While I did not know at the time about my child's learning difference I can tell you that these teachers were not educated in the area of learning differences and my child would have still had to have outside tutoring and possibly suffered at their hands. 

Money doesn't make a school (although all schools need some). 

I also found traits I didn't care for.  There was quite a bit of trickery involved in the creation of their supposedly fantastic education (I'd love to go into it but not today). 

There was a lot of intense competition in all realms (this is typical of the middle/ upper middle class in my opinion) which I don't think is healthy for children. 

I also found it to be rather sorority-like so as long as you were paying your dues you were in but the minute they thought you might de-pledge they had no use for you (so phony).

2. Our Mother of the Pines
The problem with this school was that it had what I think of as classic school problems.  Burnt out teachers, a principal who needed to retire, a competitive group of parents who lacked the cohesive working-together attitude that is so needed in a smaller, less well funded school. 

There were a lot of people who were only there because for so many generations their families had gone there.  This is how it gave off such a "stuck in 1952" attitude.  In many ways it was a sweet school but what I had originally hoped for from it I quickly learned was my own rose-colored glasses viewing of it.  It had many good points but the "wait and see" attitude I have now seen firsthand has done serious damage to more than one child.  I cant get over that.  I now mistrust it and see many of it's faculty as too careless for my family.

3. St. Arnold's
This was the school I was hoping was such a learning difference friendly Catholic school.  I no longer think that (obviously) after the way I was booted out before I ever even went there.  I don't care about the things that these people do.  Sports aren't a big issue for me, education is.  I do want to mention again that the principal changed their mind and said we could come after all and we still may but I wont be forgetting that anytime soon and frankly I sense trouble up ahead if we ever go this route. While I think they could manage to educate my child they even suggested we go for a spell to the School for kids with Dyslexia (which was a good idea really). 

Possibly I may try to tackle the Catholic Church on this one issue: You NEED to have Dyslexia friendly Catholic education available. 

As a Methodist I've always said I wont try to take on the Catholic Church but I may on this one point.

4. Public School Elementary
I really gave this a chance.  I went there, took a tour, talked to parents I knew (legions of them).  I found it to be a great school. It's in our neighborhood.  It has a great reputation.  The parents are all very involved.  It is a nice place and it's free.

But........... The school psychologist was a major jerk (many reasons). 

The tutor was a jerk ("I only teach to the IEP").

And it could take a year to 2 years to get the IEP with these people!

Remember my motto: Early Intervention! Anyone standing in the way of that is the enemy

After both conversations I hung up the phone and thanked my lucky stars that I had more options than this. (God Bless the folks who don't).

I have my own long story about my experience as the product of City Public School (the same one).  I will share it in a post soon.

5. School for children with Dyslexia
This is where my daughter is today.  She is visiting.  We went to the open house yesterday and I have been there 3 times this past week.  The kids seem happy there.  It is truly a private school with a 5 kid to 1 teacher average ratio (in the lower grades).  My brother went there years ago (after my mother hit the panic button when he couldn't read by 4th grade).   It is hugely hugely expensive.  Basically out of reach except that it's not,  sometimes we must buy things that we think we cannot afford and somehow it will work out to pay for them.  This is the way I'm thinking right now.  Are we going to end up here?  I don't know.  My husband is having a really hard time with it all.  It's not Catholic.  She is due to take first communion next year with her class (no, I don't really care personally but I do care that he cares).

Still, I have an inkling, well more than that, this would be the best place, at least for a little while.  They have a lot of kids come in and out since it is so expensive.

God help us.

6. Homeschool
My husband said the other day, "I see why people homeschool." 

We have a lot of people in our neighborhood that homeschool so I can tell you at least 3-5 examples of what that looks like to me but...... there is too much I don't care for about it. 

Plus, all the people we know who do it have kids that are weird.  Sorry to be so harsh but that's how it looks to me.  They may be smart but there are weird.  Some of them are mean.  Some of them just flat out wont talk to you or your kids. Some of them don't have the most basic skills around adults.  (I'm weird too by the way but I'm hoping my kids turn out okay despite that fact).

So there it is.  A summary of 6 school options.

No comments:

Post a Comment