Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

A lesson I learned recently

Don't know if I mentioned that we had tried to go to a different Catholic School (St. Peters I think I called it earlier).  They tested my kid and said no entry. 

Only after they were shamed by our family member who attends that church and school did they relent and crack open the door.

The other day I called them again and said that we wanted testing before the next school year to see if they thought our daughter was better able to keep up with the other children.

Funny how I got the same song and dance from the Special Education Director I'd gotten the first time. 

Here is the revelation: NO SCHOOL STAFF MEMBER WANTS A LESS THAN "A" STUDENT TO WALK IN THE DOOR.

Duh!  Sometimes it takes me awhile to catch on. 

The lesson here:  Learn to expect resistence when you are open about your child's limitations.

This is business and they foresee that there might be actual work involved with your kid.  So the lesson for this post is begin to expect resistence.  Be on guard for it. 

When there is no resistence then thank your lucky stars you actually found someone nice who is a good person. Know that this is rare.  If a person actually knows something about learning differences and they are a nice and good person then know that you have just struck gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment