Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

Parent Task 3: A secret energy source

So going through this battle is taking a lot of energy.  Just a refresher: my daughter's legal right to an assessment for an IEP based on her diagnosis of dyslexia has been violated by six adults in the education industry at this point. We had to hire a Child Advocate in order to get here what she is legally entitled to.

No matter if you are in a battle or not challenging our society with a learning difference takes energy.

So today I want to share what I consider to be a major secret to increase energy levels.  It's not massage, high-performance drugs or anything else you have to buy.

First, some background as to how I found out about this energy enhancer: there is a really great book called Born To Run: a hidden tribe, superathletes, and the greatest race the world has never seen by Christopher McDougall.  It was published in 2009.

In this book he talks about one of the best long distance runners in our country and how this man has a secret to winning all those marathons. 

In any race this runner will not start out taking the lead but will instead stay behind and run with people he believes need encouragment.  He stays with them for many miles.  They talk and he gives to them.  At a certain point toward the end of the race he becomes serious about winning and goes on to defeat people who have been ahead of him the whole time.  This world famous marathon winner has done this time and time again. This is his secret.

Now I dont run very often and when I do it's a solo activity but here is what I take from this:  helping others gives energy.

So how this works in my life has become very specific.  Since I write- I use that skill to help others. 

Yesterday,  I wrote a letter to the customer service department of my local grocery store talking about the excellent customer service I received.  I did this because the worker I had been speaking to thought it might help her in her job.  And also the service was excellent and maybe, just maybe some good will come to this deserving person because I wrote it.

My local paper called me the other day because they want to print a letter I'd written to the editor in support of our local food pantry (they are trying to expand and having a hard time).  I did this because in most cases the poor have very little voice.  I know about this subject and can weigh-in on their behalf.

So while one might conserve their energy for the fight that they are up against on behalf of their children I say try it my way and see if you arent energized. 

Find that place where you have talent and work on behalf of those in need.

Then sit back and watch what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment