Search This Blog

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Folks I've told about my 3rd grade reading guarantee theory and their reactions

Here is a laundry list of who I've told this to and how that has worked out:

Told a local public school dyslexia grassroots organizer.  She agreed but had to get back to what she working on this moment.  For now it's just a thought for her.

Told a strong public school supporter who is also a local journalist- she thought it was probably right but she didn't jump on it by any means, said she wont be writing about this sort of thing for awhile.

Told the head of my daughters school, a very smart man,  he basically agreed but didn't really seem to believe it was going to change things for him or his private school very much.

Told my child advocate, I think very highly of them by the way.  She flat out disagreed.  I thought she might be more astute than that.  It would seem that these relationships that they have built with the public schools might be more important that this to them. 

They will be writing IEP's with less trained Charter schools in the future and finding it harder to get what their clients really need.  I suppose only more financially capable families hire them in the first place so perhaps their lives wont be changing much in the next few years.  Still I wish she hadn't been so quick to dismiss me.

Made a comment on my local IDA FB page- zero takers

Made a comment on my own FB page- 2 takers,  1 I've already mentioned and a 2nd who is one of the smartest women I know.  That was a plus.

Made  comment on a few comments sections around the web.  I doubt anyone besides me actually reads the comments in those sort of sections since they are so often written by crazy lunatics with anger issues.  Probably just get lumped into that category.

Made a comment on a local progressive FB page- 1 stranger picked up on it, no conversation since I answered his question.

Told a local teacher friend- she agreed but that was the end of it,  then she told me about the hideous amount of work she is under and how the population she teaches is basically going to end up in prison or pregnant at 15.

Told another local public school teacher friend with a powerful husband- she agreed, that's all, she's busy.

Called a political junkie I know who completely and utterly understood and agreed immediately.  He pointed out that these days reporters have very little incentive to get to the bottom of anything at all.  I have called him back to ask him to elaborate more on this but haven't heard from him yet.  We have a sort of complicated relationship which might be part of the problem. 

Emailed a reporter- on vacation

Called my favorite senator- I think the aid was typing as I was talking,  don't think that's going anywhere, she was probably placing an online order for snow boots or something.

Told a person I know socially who is also a school psychologist.  She said she had taken a law class in college where the professor claimed that in the next 20 years there would not be public school as we know it now.  Strangely interesting.

Made a snide remark on a local politician's FB page- probably not the best idea on my part but if it will at least start a conversation that would be good.

Told my mom,  she wants me to visualize this all working out positively.  When I tried all I could think of was Rocky Road ice cream. Will try again.

On my next to tell list:

A person who knows me well has a well known reporter for a husband.  He's been sort of jerky to me in the past but at least my friend can vouch for my character and he might look into it.  If he does a report it may actually reach the ears of someone who will start doing something.

I got the name of one of the Big Dogs with the teachers union.  What I was told is that the head of the Union is getting ready to retire in the next year and isn't going to want to do anything much.  Number 2 person is not considered trustworthy, number 3 person is a greeny.  I'm calling Greeny this next week.

So there we have it.  What I've done with my theory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment