Search This Blog

Thursday, September 19, 2013

The drive to get the education they deserve

The other day my daughter was reading Charlotte's Web to me.  She had to read for 20 minutes.  She's in third grade. 

It wasn't perfect reading, she is only in third grade after all, but honestly it was fantastic as far as I was concerned. 

She will not go through life illiterate and that in and of itself is a huge reason to be joyful.

Although she had to do the actual work of learning to read it was all really a team effort. 

Her father and I simply weren't going to settle for less than what she needed.  Both sets of grandparents completely backed and supported our decision.   It took 6 adults being committed to an idea, the idea of our dyslexic child being able to read.

 It also helped that we have the good fortune of being near a school with a thirty plus year reputation of working with dyslexic children (which my family was already familiar with because of my brother). 

Many times people tell me that they cant afford our school (believe me I understand, it's expensive). Other times people say they'll get tutoring or they piece together some other way to get their dyslexic child what they need.  That is fine, that is okay,  but I am so glad we have done what we have done.

To me it has been worth the sacrifice to make certain that she got what she needed when she needed it.  Her school is not perfect because no school is perfect but it is the best we could do for her.  I think that matters.  I think it matters a lot.



No comments:

Post a Comment