Search This Blog

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Humbling moments for a know-it-all

I'm sometimes annoying because in certain subjects I can seem like a know-it-all.  I learn something about an area of interest and it sticks in my head. 

I like statistics (as if you didn't already know that). 

I like siting my sources ("don't believe me check here:__insert name of book or web page___").

Putting all that aside, this year my daughter has a harder teacher for language.  This guy is not going to take it easy on anyone, her report card showed evidence of that.

He said he has dyslexia and he also has a child with dyslexia.  He's not feeling sorry for anyone.  He is pushing. 

This attitude is in keeping with my brother (who also has dyslexia) who said, 
"Don't feel sorry for her,  make her work."   

My brother also admitted to riding the wave of lower expectations as a young person and he told me not to let her get away with that.

This guy may be the best teacher she's had yet.  I'm not sure but as I paint this picture for you I'm thinking this could be the case.

He explained to my husband and I the nuances of Orton Gillingham.  Wow,  there is a lot to know.  There is a lot to be broken down into manageable pieces, and geesh, this doesn't exactly look like it's easy to teach or to learn.

I told my mom later that I know if my brother hadn't gone to the school my daughter now attends he would have been completely illiterate.  He probably would have been a high school dropout.  She agreed.  It is hard to imagine what his life would have been like if had stayed on the course and my parents hadn't made the sacrifices they did to insist he learn to read.   Instead of that life, he has a good job,  is well regarded by his peers and is a hard worker.  He is a great husband and father and I really love talking to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment