Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Progress I'm making

Things have been happening for the better (at least most of them).

Our Catholic school is going to host a presentation of the film The Big Picture by James Redford.  Our local branch of the IDA is going to present it and there is a panel afterward to answer questions.  I sure hope some parents will attend.  It's all being backed by the local Diocese (which is a big deal) and I think with some good PR we will be able to hopefully help some parents get to a place of better understanding about their children and about dyslexia.

As for the dismantling of public schools and standardized testing (which I am against) things are going quite slow.  I've had no takers on a request to form a group which looks at ways to legally and proactively start to push back against these ridiculous laws. 

But...............

just when one might think that all hope is gone I went to the grocery store today and found myself talking to someone way more in touch with the public school parents than myself.

How's that for a God moment? 

Also I've been asked to be on a panel as a parent representing families with special needs. (In the face of standardized testing).   I LOVE this.  I hope I can be a help.

Is my parent group at the Catholic school still tiny?  Yes.  We did get our shelf though and I'm ready to work on putting more on it to provide any tool I can to help "struggling readers".   I want at least 100 tips in a binder. 

I've already put 2 copies of The Good School by Peg Tyre on the shelf- if one reads the reading chapter alone it's worth the time and effort since this is such a good book.

So there.  Am I having a direct impact.  Well probably not but who's to say these aren't gains and steps in the right direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment